This learnt this recipe from a very sweet Maharashtrian friend of mine long back . Pulled it out of my drafts today:)
* 12-14 small brinjals/eggplants,
* 1 cup dry shredded coconut,
* 1/2 cup peanut powder or peanuts (roasted),
* 1/4 cup sesame seeds,
* 1 tbsp each coriander-cumin seeds,
* 2 tbsp Maharashtrian goda Masala
* 1 tsp tamarind pulp,
* 1 tbsp jaggery,
* 2 tsp chilli powder,
* salt to taste,
* 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste (optional),
* 1/2 tsp asafoetida,
* 1 tsp turmeric powder.
* 2 tsp oil
1. Remove stems and give four vertical slits (not fully) to the brinjals from the top. If you want to keep the stems, give the slits from the bottom of the brinajls keeping the stem intact. Keep them in salt water for 10 minutes and rinse. Set aside.
2. Roast coconut, sesame seeds, coriander-cumin seeds together till light brown. Powder this mixture and combine tamarind, jaggery, peanut powder, ginger-garlic paste, salt, chilli powder and goda masala with the ground spices. Alternatively, grind all these ingredients together with the roasted mixture.
3. Stuff all the brinjals with above masala.
4. Take a kadai or a shallow non stick pan, and heat oil in it. Add mustard seeds. When you hear spluttering sound, add asafoetida and turmeric powder.
5. Add the brinjals and the leftover masala. Gently fry for sometime. Add 1/2 cup water.
6. Cover and cook over low-medium heat for about 15-25 min or until the brinjals turn soft and completely cooked. (To keep the masala from sticking to the bottom of the pan, cover the pan with a deep platter with some water in it. It helps the curry cook evenly without burning.)
7. Remove the lid and stir to check if the brinjals are done. If not, cook further until well done. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with chapati or rice.
1) Chop 1 small onion and combine it with the ground masala in step 2. Follow rest of the method same as above.
2) Add potato cut into vertical pieces along with the brinjals.
3) Stuff small potatoes in the same way as brinjals and cook them along with the brinjals.
Irresistible stuffed brinjals.
Looks so yummy....
Looks yum...always love this ...
It's my all time favorite.....with Bhakri off course.
Post a Comment