Indira of Mahanandi started Jihva for ingredients in May 2006. Since then it has been one of the most popular events in the blog sphere. Every month one of the Indian Ingredient is celebrated with great enthusiasm by the food blogger's community . I am very honored to host this event and thank Indira for giving me this opportunity. I also thank Bee and Jai of Jugalbandi for having helped me out in designing the beautiful logo with red, brown and white rice.
Jihva for ingredients, for the month of September is the staple food of India -RICE. In Sanskrit rice is called as "Vrihi".
Rice is grown in many regions across India. It is the principal crop grown in India, and the country ranks second only to China in world rice production. Much of the crop is used to feed the domestic population, as rice is the dietary staple for many Indians.
The below picture shows the 'paddy fields'
Rice has potential in a wide range of food categories. Besides having nutritional and medicinal benefits, the by-products of rice are equally important and beneficial.
- Rice Husks
- Rice Bran
- Broken Rice
- Rice Flour
- Rice Milk
- Rice Pudding
- Rice Starch
- Rice Straw
- Rice used in Beverage Making
- Rice Paper
- Rice Glue
- Rice Cakes
- Rice Vinegar
- Rice Soy Milk
- Red Yeast Rice
- Rice based food products
For this event all you have to do is prepare recipes out of Rice , may it be like Biryani, Pulao, Variety rice, Fried rice or you can also use the derivatives of rice like the rice batter, rice noodles, rice papers, cream of rice, puffed rice, flattened rice(rice flakes) . Use any kind of rice like long grain, short grain, Basmati rice, Brown rice, Rosemetta, Sona Masuri, Wild rice, Black rice. You can also make creamy desserts items like rice pudding, rice dumplings(modak in Hindi) and so on. Put your imaginations to work and get creative.
- Prepare a dish with "Rice" as the main ingredient, and post it on your blog in the month of August. The choice of recipe is not restricted to Indian cuisine. You can send in multiple entries too.
- Please send me an e-mail with your Name, a Picture of the dish, perma-link of The Recipe, and Name of your blog to Sharmikomal@gmail.com. Please use “JFI” to denote the subject matter.
- If you are a non-blogger, please send your recipe and picture with your e-mail.
- The deadline for this event is September 1, 2007. The round-up will be posted by September 3rd.
- Please feel free to use the Logo
I look forward to your creative contributions.